Ooooh mama. Let me just enjoy this moment briefly. *Deep Breath* *Sigh*. Ok I’m ready, it’s just that this post has been a long time in the making. Each season of the closet mission has brought me a step closer to wardrobe contentment but I knew Fall would be a true test. I’ll tell you it was by far the toughest list to pin down. Partly because I’d already covered off a lot of great items in Winter, Spring and Summer but also because this is it, there are no more seasons left. At this point I should either be content with my closet or accept that this whole mission was a failure. Luckily, I can honestly say mission accomplished! I feel as though I’ve made great strides in my personal style quest and I have a great foundation for an infinite number of outfits. So lets get down to business and take a look at what items made the final cut!
1. Great Pumps - A great pair of heels can take an outfit from ‘Meh’ to ‘Magnificent’. The trouble is that a perfect pump isn’t always easy to find. I’ve jumped the gun on what seemed like the right pair and found that they were just too high, too shiny and too pointy. Take your time when choosing the right classic pump. Make sure the heel height, material, shape and fit are exactly what you’ve been waiting for. These are all classics with their own unique twist – JCrew // Club Monaco // Loeffler Randall // Madewell
2. Leather Jacket - Well now, a leather jacket is just a non-negotiable closet mainstay. If you can, invest in one that’s going to last and make you feel awesome, definitely do. You won’t be sorry! I went for this one from Madewell with super minimal hardware as opposed to the typical moto style but if you’re more badass than I am then these two options are entirely legit – Zara (faux) // Anine Bing
3. Oversize Sweater – Last fall I searched high and low (both figuratively and in price point) for a great oversized turtleneck knit but came up empty handed. This year they are seemingly everywhere and I will admit I may have indulged in more than one. This Zara one has been a mega hit and I am in love with these options from Aritzia and Hope.
4. Trouser - When I used to hear someone use the term trouser I’d instantly envision a poor fitting, mottled brown pair of wool pants on a grandpa. YIKES. But this year they’re are so many great options and updated versions I’ve replaced grandpa with the always chic Katherine Hepburn in my head. I’ll have one of each of these please – Elizabeth Suzann // Aritzia // JCrew // Madewell
5. Silk Button Downs – In the summer silky tanks are my secret weapon and once fall arrives I pretty much just want the same thing but with sleeves. Queue the silk button down shirt! With a pair of skinny jeans and those heels we already talked about you’re all set for a dinner date, or better yet, a glass of vino and a good book after a long day. Equipment has mastered the silk pocket and is a nice length but Everlane has a ton of great colours and subtle variations at a great price.
6. Brown Boots - I know, I already went on a crazy rant about the magic and amazingness of the black boot (here) but I do love me some neutrals. I am a huge fan of mixing rich brown tones with black or white (or both!) and a pair of brown boots can really expand your outfit options. Pecan boots with dark wash denim is a seriously delicious combination. Gimme all these – Madewell // Joie // A.P.C.
7. Black Blazer – There are few things so simultaneously sophisticated and sexy at the same time. You’ve just gotta have one! These are all fabulous – Madewell (leather sleeves) // Club Monaco // Theory
8. Sweater Dress - I’m wearing one right now because, well, I love them. These are a few I could fancy myself in all season – Zara // Aritzia // JCrew
9. Leather Skirt - Just in case I get a leetle beet too comfy in my sweaters and trousers it’s good to have an option that’s more polished and structured. Okay I’ll say what I really mean, and I mean sexy. Sure summer is over but that doesn’t mean our skirts have to get frumpy or our legs have to be hidden in pants! Get your leather bottoms on with any of these options – Zara // Joe’s Jeans // Madewell
10. Over Coat - Now this I didn’t really know I needed until I found one. Ok maybe that’s not entirely logical but for real an oversized coat is a total closet game changer. Wear your gigantic sweaters with reckless abandonment, fear not the layering of sleeves and prepare to look effortlessly chic at a moments notice. I am totally in love with all these options – Elizabeth Suzann // Club Monaco // A Piece Apart // Acne Studios
Well there we have it my friends! Have yourself a wonderful Friday and stay tuned for tomorrow’s Closet Mission conclusion and Fall Bonus items, I promise they’re all delightful!