November 25, 2015
Remember, like forever ago, when I did a Fall Foundation capsule closet comprised of 12 items and then styled them into 12 different looks? Well, if you do awesome, but if not no worries because today I’m taking a look back through all the items and outfits and assessing how successful my third foundation capsule was.
If I’ve learned anything from these exercises it’s that a lot of planning and a lot of honesty make for the best closet. I’ve also come to accept that I probably won’t ever have the ‘perfect wardrobe’. BUT all dreams need not be crushed! Really, I’ve just had to acknowledge that fact because my definition of what a perfect wardrobe looks like is always evolving. And now that I’ve admitted that thought I feel so relieved. You mean I don’t actually have to have this whole thing figured out? Ha!
So let’s take a quick look at the 12 pieces I included in the Fall Foundation Capsule.
I started this capsule by outlining why I picked each item so I thought it would be worthwhile to re-review now that I’ve worn them all a few times. So here’s my honest assessment of each:
- Green Tunic – This is by far my favourite top right now. I’ve worn it easily 20 times already and won’t be slowing down anytime soon!
- Flares – I loved these jeans even more than my summer version. But if we’re being particular (which I am), I wish the inseam was ever so slightly longer. They work with my lowest boots but that’s all.
- Grey Tee – Still one of the comfiest tees ever. I only wore it twice on the blog but a lot of other times behind the scenes.
- Leather Jacket (similar) – So, I love my leather jacket but I really don’t wear it that much. I think it’s partly because of the fickle weather we have and partly because of the silhouette. It just feels a little boxy and cropped sometimes.
- White Long Sleeve – This is such a good staple. I actually wore it yesterday while I was writing this. No complaints!
- Rachel Comey Boots – These were my biggest investment this season and I don’t regret it for a second! I ordered 1/2 a size smaller than usual and they’ve melded to my feet perfectly. I love the colour and the heel height is perfect for all day wear.
- Long Dress (black version) – So I LOVE this dress, I really do, but I just don’t think the fit is quite right for me. The fabric is an actual dream but the hem is just a little too tight for my power walking ways and I felt a little self conscious about how wide the pockets made my hips.
- Sweater Cape – I wear this fella on the daily. It’s a hit! I just wish it wasn’t such a magnet for corgi fur!
- Striped Tee – This tee has been on major repeat all season. I love the thickness and the cropped length so much!
- Plaid Pea Coat – This coat is one of my favourite collaboration pieces to date. It’s been a great addition.
- Pumps (similar) – I love these heels and they always get compliments but I only had one or two occasions to wear them in real life this season.
- Black Skinnies – As you know, I think these jeans are awesome! I tried the straight leg instead of skinny this time and while I think it’s very flattering, I’m still either a flares or skinny leg girl at heart.
So there you have my candid thoughts on every piece I chose. If I was repeating this capsule again next Fall I’d probably switch out 3 or 4 pieces but otherwise I was really content with my options. Overall, I’d give this foundation capsule a B+.
New let’s take a quick look at all the outfits I managed to make from those 12 items.
4 FAVOURITE LOOKS
These were easily my 4 favourite looks from the capsule. I judged their merit by not only the visual outcome but the comfort and confidence I felt when wearing each one. Because we all know it doesn’t matter how great something might look, if you don’t feel great, it’s not a keeper. I suppose these are technically my two Fall uniforms. Long sweaters, boots and jeans for the WIN!
Well, since I’m being honest here, I’m not entirely sure. I have plans to do a Winter Foundation capsule in the new year but after that I’m planning to reassess my whole approach and Closet Mission. Not in a scrap it and start over kind of way, more in a streamlining sort of way. My goal is to create a system to make curating a fabulous small closet a really simple and rewarding experience. Until then I’ll be sharing a bit about my switch to natural beauty and skincare, interviews with a couple amazing new makers and lots of other good Style Bee stuff!
As always, thanks for reading and joining me here in this tiny corner of the interwebs!