September 30, 2016
Hoor’eh’! It’s finally time to share this post after months of compiling names, researching leads and refining my list of the best spots to shop responsibly in Canada. My goal for this list was not to simply mash together every Canadian maker, brand or designer that I came across or that someone mentioned, but rather to compile a comprehensive list of the ones I consider to be setting the bar high in terms of beautiful design, excellent craftsmanship and that I believe are helping to put Canada on the world map when it comes to great taste and style.
HOW DID THESE BRANDS MAKE THE LIST?
I focused on brands that are making their products in Canada, along with a couple that are producing ethically elsewhere but based locally. I have either personally shopped from them or hope to one day. They all have a relatively minimal, elegant and timeless aesthetic, which as you know by now is 100% my jam.
For all the independant clothing and accessories lines I’ve included a short note about the collection, my favourite piece and the general price point ($ = $100 or less | $$ = $150-$350 | $$$ = $350 +). For Skincare, Homewares and Shops I’ve simply linked to the site and mentioned why it’s worth a look.
I’ve kept this list focused on womenswear but made note when menswear is also available. I opted to omit most ‘local’ boutiques across the country that despite looking great don’t offer online shopping. For the time being, I left out children’s clothing because that’s a whole other ball game and frankly way off my radar at the moment.
NOT IN CANADA?
No problem. As far as I can tell alllmost these shops and designers ship internationally! Plus, if you’re in the US you’re already saving 25% or more so everything is basically on sale. Good for you, sad for us!
CANADIAN RESPONSIBLE SHOPPING GUIDE
(In no particular order)
- LLOYD | LOVE this line so much. I shared the 19th Avenue Dress on Wednesday and already can’t wait to add more LLOYD to my life (the Factory coat is on my wishlist). | $$|
- URSA MINOR | OK, this Fall collection is actually pure genius and I simply cannot stop swooning!! The Spring collection was amazing too and currently on sale! | $$ |
- SUNJA LINK | This one is definitely a designer to watch. The Palm Print dress was everywhere this SS16 and it is amazing. | $$ |
- HOIBO | One of my all-time favourites. Stunning minimalist designs in the most gorgeous materials (remember this post?). I LOVE this top and this bag is freaking amazing. | $$ |
- MARY YOUNG | LINGERIE | My go-to for comfy everyday bra/undie sets. Mary uses such beautiful fabrics and her designs are super wearable and yet very come hither. Learn more about this rad line in this Behind The Design from earlier this Spring. | $$ |
- OVATE | I’ve been eying this beautiful and bewitching collection for so long. I have almost bought this dress so many times and I just might have to pull the trigger! | $$ |
- YOGA JEANS | DENIM | These people know how to make a seriously comfy and flattering pair of pants! I styled the black, high rise, boot-cut pair a few ways last Fall but eventually found the boot cut wasn’t for me. (Look 1, Look 2, Look 3). | $$ |
- MILDRED HANDMADE | I love following this one woman show on Instagram and her pieces have such a lovely, relaxed elegance to them. The Ludlow overcoat and the Patricia Top are personal favourites. | $$ |
- KORINNE VADER | Elegant, minimal everyday basics in natural fibres. I LOVE this wool vest for winter. | $$ |
- BETINA LOU | I adore this designer but have yet to shop from them. I love the classic style with contemporary details and a relaxed palette. Hello corduroy jumper! | $$ |
- AKG DESIGN | Functional, contemporary basics. | $ | Online shop coming soon!
- FORTNIGHT | LINGERIE | Seriously stunning lingerie with supportive, flattering fits. This set is definitely on my wishlist and hello wedding night potential! | $$ |
- HORSES ATELIER | To me this is one of the most swoon worthy Canadian lines. Mark my words that one day this coat will be mine! | $$$ |
- IRIS DENIM | DENIM | 1 style, 3 washes, so good! If you’re in the market for skinny jeans definitely check them out! | $$ |
- HUTCHISON | Ridiculously comfy looking loungewear. Perfect for a cozy night in or a lazy Sunday. | $$ |
- NAKED + FAMOUS | DENIM | Denim for men and women and great basic button-downs. | $$ |
- SMYTHE | Sooooo this line is insanely good. I would do a lot of ridiculous things to get the Long Shawl Blazer in my life. | $$$ | Just wish there was an online shop!
- DEVLYN VAN LOON | Unique basics with a focus on function and wearability. | $$ | FW16 launches soon and looks amazing!
- BETH RICHARDS | SWIM | Such a stunning swimwear line. I’m already saving for a one piece next Summer. | $$ |
- ELIZA FAULKNER | Oh wow, this designer just shot to the top of my lust list! The Stella Dress is everything. | $$$ |
- MINNOW BATHERS | SWIM | So. Many. Good. Swimsuits!! | $$ |
- BEES + BONES | I just came across this line recently and there are so many gems! Wish I’d seen the Petal Peplum earlier this summer. | $ |
- JESKA GRUE | Jeska is another newbie on my radar but I already like what she’s cooking up. The Wrap top is pretty clever! | $$ |
- POWER OF MY PEOPLE | Classic button downs in beautiful colours of linen and cotton. The Friend shirt is my hands down fave. | $$ | (Also for Men!)
- DAG + STACEY | LOVE their latest Fall collection especially this jumpsuit! | $$ |
- AMANDA MOSS | Super cute dresses in feminine silhouettes. | $$ |
- M0851 | Contemporary coats, bags and accessories for cold weather. | $$$ | (Also for Men!)
- NICOLE BRIDGER | Made in Canada + ethically outsourced | I’m really liking the Discover Trench. | $$ |
- WORKHALL | Super cool concept collection chock full of unexpected shapes and the Hailey Dress is pretty perfect. | $$ |
- ODEYALO | Delicious contemporary basics collection. Everything looks so comfy and versatile. I mean, this quilted bomber! | $$ |
- COMPLEX GEOMETRIES | Very cool minimalist line with ingenious shapes and draping. I learned about them through Gabi’s style profile and this fuzzy sweater is officially on my Winter Wishlist. | $$$ | (Also for Men!)
- MUTTONHEAD | Mostly menswear but I’m more than happy to borrow from the boys, especially when it comes to their toques (that’s Canadian for beanie)! | $ |
- TESSA HUGHES | I love this line of super simple, ridiculously comfy looking basics. The Raglan Dress, the Luxe Pant and the Optimiste tote are personal faves. | $ – $$ |
- FREE LABEL | Really chic and comfy looking basics collection with a clear focus on ethical and sustainable production. | $ – $$ |
- BIRDS OF NORTH AMERICA | If you’re into cute sets, pretty prints and retro vibes definitely check this line out. I personally love the Songlark skirt and crop set (currently on sale)!
- PRELOVED | This unique and innovative collection blends reclaimed vintage, deadstock and overrun fabric to create new one-of-a-kind items from what would otherwise end up in a landfill. I’m not big on patchwork personally, but LOVE the Colleen Poplin in White and Black and was thrilled to find an online source for vintage Levi’s in Canada.
(In no particular order)
- THE STOWE | Bags | I adore my Eloise Bag and absolutely plan to add another one from the line to my collection soon. The new colours are amazing. | $$ |
- OPELLE | Bags | There is no secret that I LOVE Opelle. I’ll be sharing my new Meena bag soon and spoiler alert, it’s perfect! | $$ |
- MICHELLE ROSS | Jewelry | In case you missed it I shared a quick interview Michelle and a few amazing pieces from the new GAIA collection in Monday’s post. | $$ |
- HENDRIK LOU | Handknit Accessories + Clothing | I am seriously obsessed with this sweater and this bag. | $$ |
- BIKO | Jewelry | This line has been a favourite of mine since long before I started blogging. The FW16 collection just hit the shop and it’s SO GOOD. | $$ |
- EMMY TRINH | Jewelry | I’ve had the pleasure of adding a few of Emmy’s pieces to my collection and they’re instant favourites. The constellation trio necklace is a personal fave. | $$ |
- CADETTE | Jewelry | Gorgeous (and affordable!) line of minimal jewelry in unexpected geometric shapes. | $ |
- BOOKHOU | Bags | A crowd favourite for block printing and functionality. | $$ |
- ATTIC | Jewelry | LOVE this line so much it’s silly. In fact, my engagement ring was designed and created by ATTIC. They make everything in a super rad Guelph-based studio and use ethically sourced gems and recycled gold. The cigar ring is everything. | $$$ |
- GOOD NIGHT DAY | Handknit Accessories + Clothing | So many good beanie and chunky scarf options! | $$ |
- ELEVEN THIRTY | Bags | This cult favourite collection is made in Toronto and the hides and materials they source are just amazing. | $$ |
- FORESTIERE | Jewelry | I absolutely swoon over this jewelry collection. The natural colours, stunning textures and unique shapes are such a dream. | $$ |
- BARE KNITWEAR | Accessories (Responsibly Made in Peru) | This brand is amazing for so many reasons. Stunning sustainable materials, ethical production, minimal design combined in a super wearable way. I can’t wait to wear my classic beanie again soon! | $$ |
- HART & STONE | Jewelry | $ | FW16 Collection arriving soon.
- ERIN TEMPLETON | Bags | Total cult favourite (for good reason!) and definitely worth checking out! | $$ |
- POPPY BARLEY | Shoes (Responsibly Made in Mexico) | I love my ankle boots so much! They are ridiculously comfortable and well made. | $$ |
- F.MILLER | Favourite lip balm for sure!
- WILDCRAFT | Love this line and their branding is on point.
- PROVINCE APOTHECARY | Gorgeous products, packaging and fragrances.
- CLEMENTINE FIELDS | Amazing sample program.
- DETOX MARKET CA | Very comprehensive stock of the best all natural lines.
- WELL.CA | Great option for affordable green/natural products.
- TRUTH BEAUTY | Local to Guelph!
- ARTIFACT | Renowned for their masques.
- THE CURE APOTHECARY | Beautifully curated shop filled with all natural skincare and beauty. (Toronto local)
- GRAYDON | Love this line of all natural, Canadian made (and sourced!) skincare.
- BITE BEAUTY | Epic lipsticks, epic branding all made by hand in Toronto. (not 100% natural but made without: Parabens, Sulfates, Phthalates)
(Carrying Made in Canada + Responsible Brands)
- ONE OF A FEW | Can I just have everything? I could very easily part with my entire savings in just one visit to this shop. Think Comey, Kamm, Manoogian, Callahan, Kohn, Building Block, Base Range and Black Crane. UGH!
- CHARLIE + LEE | Another West Coast gem carrying the best of both Canadian and International indie labels.
- UBEMOSHI | It’s just as well I don’t live near this shop. My shoe addiction would be way out of control. They carry all the best international footwear like MNZ, Coclico, Martiniano and Veja.
- GARMENTORY | You know my Garmentory love is very real. They make shopping boutiques from all over North America so easy. Free Shipping and get $20 OFF your first purchase! (Disclaimer: I get $20 credit when you buying something.)
- OLIVER + LILY’S | I had the pleasure of visiting this shop when I was in Van last summer and it’s absolutely dreamy! The owners are so lovely and the curation is seriously on point. Great option to pick up Clare V. bags!
- UNDONE | I did some damage here earlier this Fall and love everything I added to my underthings collection. They carry Base Range, The Nude Label, Pansy Co. and so many other ethical underwear lines.
- BIBELOT & TOKEN | Love this little shop and the owner B is a gem. Lot’s of great gifts and accessories.
- OUTPOST VINTAGE | Great vintage! (Guelph Local)
- HEY JUDE | More great vintage and thrifted gems. (Vancouver Local)
- KENNEDY PARK | Great selection of Canadian labels! (Guelph Local)
- BLUSH | This shop is a Guelph landmark at this point. Michele, Blush’s owner has single handedly upped Guelph’s style game over the last 10 years and she’s still topping herself with every season! Great selection of made in USA lines and some hard to find European collections too.
- GREY ROCK | Ethical, sweatshop-free fashion is at the core of this shop. (Guelph Local)
- NEW CLASSICS | Love this shop and how it’s making sustainability look as good as it should!
- GRAVITY POPE | Epic shoe selection. I bought my Mars boots from the Vancouver location last summer.
- ZANE | Bags, Bags, Bags and more Bags! Tons of made in Canada gems found here.
- SWEAT SOCIETY | Ethical activewear, yay! This is such a tough thing to find here but this shop has some awesome ethical international and made in Canada lines.
- EASY TIGER GOODS | This is definitely a can’t miss spot to visit if you’re ever in Toronto. This perfectly curated little boutique hosts so many hard to find gems from indie brands. Think Group Partner planters, Building Block bags and Dieppa Restrepo shoes.
- PRESENT DAY | Beautiful gift boxes filled with unique, locally sourced, responsibly made goods that have been curated perfectly. I especially love The Gent and The Lakehouse boxes but you can create custom ones too!
(Carrying Made in Canada + Responsible Brands)
- SPECK + STONE | Ceramics | Stunning hand thrown stoneware in neutral tones and glazes.
- LINDSEY HAMPTON | Ceramics | Sculptural, contemporary ceramics in intriguing shapes and colours.
- MJOLK | Furniture + Home Goods | I’m almost sorry to share this shop with you because it’s so good you’ll never be the same again. You need to see the owners’ home tour too.
- MÜR LIFESTYLE | Home Goods | Resistance is futile when it comes to me and this shop. I’ve been going a little bonkers buying goods for our kitchen from their new Fall collection.
- THE WANDERLY | Textiles | Great selection of affordable kilim pillows and rugs. Remember this post?
- RUG & WEAVE | Textiles | This husband and wife team importers (based in Guelph!) find the most beautiful vintage Persian, kilim, Turkish and Boucherouite rugs, not to mention their Moroccan collection of bags, mudcloth throws and latest addition of pillows. Stay tuned for an awesome giveaway later this Fall!
- OLD FAITHFUL | Gifts + Home Goods | Whenever we’re in Toronto we try to swing by this place. It’s the ultimate gift shop and treat-yo-self stop.
- SOUVENIR STUDIOS | Gifts + Home Goods | Another swoon-worthy space in Toronto’s little Portugal. Impeccably curated and merchandised. (Toronto Local, online shop coming soon.)
- HOLD GENERAL | Gifts + Home Goods | I’m completely obsessed with this place. If I could become a shop instead of being human, it would be this one! Can’t wait to visit when we’re in Victoria next summer.
- CAMBIE DESIGN | Textiles + Home Goods | These gorgeous alpaca throws from Peru make the best gifts! They also have a line of scented candles that are delicious.
- ERA 66 | Furniture | Bespoke mid-century furniture based in Guelph. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting the women behind this brand and they are basically super-human. This sideboard is on our dining room dream list. (Guelph Local)
- JENNY RIJKE | Ceramics |This talented woman is a new mama so she’s taking a break but keep an eye out for her gorgeous, swirled clay work and pinch pots.
- YYY | Ceramics | Very cool ceramics and accessories line out of Montreal. I love their speckled stuff and this vessel is pretty much perfect.
- ATELIER ST. GEORGE | Gifts + Textiles + Home Goods| This one is new to me but looks incredible! Another great spot to visit next time I’m out west.
- STYLE GARAGE | Furniture | A gorgeous range of mid-century modern furniture, all expertly crafted in Canada. Our living room is basically entirely from this shop. (Toronto and Vancouver local but also avail. through other stores)
- SUNNYSIDE | Tea + Gifts + Skincare + Home Goods | This little boutique is local in North Vancouver but ships internationally.
Thanks for giving these Canadian folks a look!
I’ll be continuing to update this post as new ones make the cut so check back soon for more great responsible Canadian shopping options. In the meantime, check out MADE INLAND for even more leads!
If you have any suggestions that aren’t on the list please feel free to let me know in the comments.
This post was not sponsored, nor is Style Bee directly affiliated with any of these brands. All opinions are my own. All images borrowed from Canadian shops.